The Iron Horse Bicycle Classic was the brain child of Tom Mayer and his older brother, Jim. Jim worked as a brakeman on the D&RGW Railroad, which had run the steam-powered locomotive between Durango and Silverton, Colorado, since the 1880’s. Tom was a young bicycle enthusiast who grew up alongside the tracks to Silverton. Tom challenged Jim to a race to Silverton. As the train came by the house, the steam whistle screamed, and Tom climbed on his trusty steel-framed 10 speed, pedaled up over the rim of the old volcano and descended into the caldera to the mining town of Silverton. The train takes a shorter and easier route, but with limited speed, so it is truly a race between man and machine. When Tom became strong enough to win, the bragging rights were his, and the whole town knew it.
During Iron Horse, you will have the chance to “race” the famous steam locomotive. Spots will sell out, so get yours today!
You can secure your entry through Team LIVESTRONG and ride for more than the miles. As a member of Team LIVESTRONG, your fundraising efforts will help LIVESTRONG provide free programs and services for people affected by cancer now.
Need an Entry to the Race?
Register with Team LIVESTRONG.
Your Team LIVESTRONG registration includes:
- Guaranteed entry to Iron Horse Bicycle Classic.
- A Team LIVESTRONG Cycling jersey.
- Finish Line Team Tent Experience.
- Team dinner at Ska Brewery.
- A personalized fundraising website and fundraising tools to help you reach your goals.
- Promotional materials (LIVESTRONG wristbands, banners, posters).
- One-on-one support from LIVESTRONG staff.
Your Team LIVESTRONG Responsibilities Include
- Your commitment to raise $400. NOTE: Fundraising must be completed by May 15, 2014, or your race entry will be withheld.
- Representing the mission of LIVESTRONG in training and fundraising: to inspire and empower those affected by cancer.
Already Have Your Own Entry?
We also accept team members who have secured their own entries to the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. There is no fundraising minimum. However, if you raise $400, you will receive all the benefits listed above, including Team LIVESTRONG gear and access to race weekend activities.
NOTE: Fundraising must be completed by May 15, 2014, to qualify for Team LIVESTRONG benefits as a participant who has their own entry.